Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Surf N Turf...Sorta.

The same day I made the pretty popsicles I decided to make this grilled veggie salad I had been eyeing. The picture was so inviting it made me want to lick the page (is that weird?). I tend to get so excited about side dishes that I forget about what the "main" dish should be. So here I am, chopping summer squash and I remember that I hadn't gotten very far in my dinner plans, because I only thought one dish through. So I yell to Ryan "CHICKEN OR SHRIMP!?" (tid-bit: I actually call it scrimp. My friend Randy started it and it stuck. One time I even asked the butcher for a pound of scrimp. Oops). Anyway, he said he'd like both. So I decided it was maybe kind of like surf n turf. I know the "turf" is usually steak but chickens hang out on turf too right? Right.

So Sundays menu was:
Lemon pepper shrimp and chicken
Orzo pasta
Grilled veggie salad.


Lets go over the salad:

You'll need:



1 small fennel bulb
1 orange bell pepper
1 red onion (I used half of one)
1 zucchini
1 yellow summer squash (I used 2 small ones)
1/4 cup EVOO...trust me you don't need that much
3 tbs red wine vinegar...I used balsamic instead
1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes
1/2 cup crumbled feta
3 tbs loosely packed thinly sliced fresh basil


Slice all vegetables so they are grillable. Typically length-wise. Cut the stalks off the fennel bulb and save a handful of the fronds from the stalks and set aside. Cut the fennel bulb lengthwise and try to trim away most 
of the core.

 

Prepare a gas grill OR your grill pan. Grill in batches. Only flip once, be sure not to over cook. Fennel should take about 12 minutes. 10 minutes for the pepper and 6 minutes for the onion and squash.



Grill marks are my fav. I think it makes everything look prettier. Once the vegetables are cool enough to be handled, cut them all into cubes. Throw all veggies into a bowl. Combine remainder of olive oil and either balsamic or red wine vinegar. Toss in feta cheese, tomatoes, basil and fennel fronds.

So, it is a goal in life to get my version of things to look like the picture...so, what do you think?




This would be delicious with grilled pork or steak as well. Or even tofu!

1 comment:

  1. that is a beautiful veggie salad!! adding the feta must have made such incredible flavors!
    thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete