Thursday, November 11, 2010

Treats Treats and More Treats!

As I was flipping through the virtual pages of Martha Stewart's Everyday Food website I found this.
Popcorn? Pretzels? Carmel? Almonds? YES. My hands are sticky and I have stuff all over my shirt but I don't even care.

Let's get this party started.

Grab:


•Nonstick cooking spray

•12 cups plain popped popcorn (from 1/2 cup kernels or 2 microwave packages) I used 2 things of Jiffy Pop. Yeah, you know, the kind that

•4 cups coarsely chopped small salted pretzels (7.5 ounces)

•2 cups sugar

•Coarse salt

•2/3 cup heavy cream

•2 cups miniature marshmallows



In a large bowl, really, the bigger the better, combine pretzels and popcorn.




In a saucepan, bring sugar, a pinch of salt, and 1/2 cup water to a boil.




Be patient with this process, it takes 8-12 minutes and don't try to rush it because it needs time to thicken and become a rich amber color.

Once it's nice and amber-y, add cream and marshmellows. Stir until it is completely blended.



Once it's all ready to go, pour entire mixture over popcorn mixture and toss with a rubber spatula (remember, it's HOT, so you wan't something heat-proof)


If you desire (and I did) add chopped almonds for an extra crunch and texture.


Transfer mixture into a BUTTERED  9 x 12 baking dish. Use your clean little hands or plastic wrap to press into dish.



Make sure to let it cool before cutting into squares. This is important, I like to jump the gun and do things before the recipe says to because I am massively impatient....so if you're like me, stick it in the fridge! (whoa, that was a serious run-on sentence).



After it's cooled, dump it upsidown onto a cutting board and cut into squares. In my case, the carmel kind of settled into the bottom of the pan, but oh well..they were still delish.



Let's not forget Olive Oil! She wasn't in the mood for kitchen help, but was sure in the mood for some pettins! 



No comments:

Post a Comment