Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I LOVE BRUSSEL SPROUTS


I really do. Like, a lot. Maybe too much. It's my go-to vegetable for any side. Roasting them, steaming them, I lurve it all.

Boiled brussel sprouts with red currant vinaigrette:

Ingredients


2 lb brussel sprouts

1/4 cup red currant jelly

1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard

1/4 cup olive oil

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/8 teaspoon black pepper


Bring large sauce pan to a boil and add sprouts, boil until just tender...about 5 minutes.
You could roast them- but I personally love them boiled this way. I got made fun of for boiling instead of roasting them, but that was prior to anyone trying them. TRUST ME. You'll be hogging this dish like a mother f-er.

Heat the jelly in a small saucepan over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add the red pepper and mustard. Whisking constantly, slowly add the oil. Season with the salt and black pepper.

- I personally brought the jelly to a slight boil before removing it from heat, mostly because I forgot about it (stop judging, I was also making home-made dinner rolls, an entire roast beef and sour cream mashed potatoes AT THE SAME TIME...but it turned out just fine.)

Transfer the brussel sprouts to a serving bowl, drizzle with the jelly vinaigrette, and toss. Serve hot or at room temperature.


Fun fact: this recipe actually called for broccoli rabe instead of brussel sprouts, but when I went to Ralphs they didn't have the fancy broccoli so I went with my staple veg. Red currant jelly is kind of amazing and I feel like isn't used often enough. It needs to be brought into high rotation in my kitchen.

PS: I googled how to spell broccoli at least 5 times because I thought it looked funny spelled that way. Is it just me? Yes? Ok.


If you make this dish every night of the week I don't blame you. D-LISH.

OH: So I realize that this is a cooking blog, HOWEVER, I was thinking of doing a shop my closet. Thoughts? Concerns? Yay? Nay?

4 comments:

  1. Fun Fact from your Mother - You have always loved brussel sprouts even as a little kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love brussel sprouts too! Like I'm a giant eating a bunch of little cabbages.

    http://bottleblack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote yay on the closet shopping!
    Anytime you show a little peak of your outfit, I love it and feel like it's something I'd wear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks absolutely delicious! I tried roasted brussels sprouts for the first time this fall and was shocked at how much I love them... I've got to try this recipe soon, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete