Monday, March 22, 2010

Tough Cookie.

I know I've posted about shortbread cookies before, but in my opinion, it's the best base for any cookie. A lot of people use sugar cookie dough for other things but I think it's too sweet. Shortbread is richer as far as butter goes, but not sugar.

Shortbread cookie base:

1 cup flour
1/2 cup confectioners sugar (powdered sugar)
1 stick + 1 tablespoon unsweetened  butter
Splash vanilla extract
Pinch kosher salt

For orange & poppy seed shortbread :

2 teaspoons orange zest
2 teaspoons poppy seeds

Combine all ingredients from cookie base in a large mixing bowl. If you are lucky enough to own a food processor then go ahead and combine them in that. I, on the other hand, use my hands.
Zest a navel orange until you reach 2 teaspoons- I did closer to 2 1/2 teaspoons..I like orange flavor a lot. Combine with mixture.
Measure 2 teaspoons poppy seeds and combine with mixture. I am in love with this coloring.
Press cookie dough into a round 9" buttered baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.

Wait until cookie is cooled to cut. Cut with a bread knife to avoid breaking. I cut mine like a pizza!

No comments:

Post a Comment