Thursday, April 22, 2010

Stuffed Peppers 101

It's strange how your taste buds change over time, isn't it? I used to think bell peppers were gross and never ate them (I still have issues with green ones). I discovered about a year ago that sauteed or cooked yellow, red and orange peppers were actually tasty! Ryan requested stuffed peppers so I made them last week as a side to our steaks. I realize that steaks dont really go that well with this recipe, but that's what I wanted to eat. Compromise, right?

This recipe isn't veggie friendly because it requires chicken stock but if you used vegetable stock it would work out just fine!

You will need:

1 (28-ounce) can Italian tomatoes


2 zucchini, grated (I diced- didnt grate)

1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves (Left this out, didn't want it to be too overwhelming)

1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano, plus more for sprinkling

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

4 cups chicken broth

1 1/2 cups orzo (rice-shaped pasta)

6 sweet bell peppers (red or yellow) (I did 4 not 6)
 
 
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and bring chicken broth to a boil in small sauce pan. Meanwhile, combine zucchini, cheese, olive oil, and tomatoes- a 14oz can is PLENTY if you're only doing 4 peppers.
 
Once your stock is to a rolling boil, pour in orzo pasta. Cook for only 4 minutes (you don't want it to be done all the way) drain and combine with mixture.
Slice the tops off and core your peppers. Be sure to not leave any seeds in, kids!
If they dont stand on their own, slice a very thin layer off the bottom.
 
Take your leftover chicken stock and fill a baking dish about an inch full with the stock. Pile mixture into peppers and place in baking dish.
COVER with foil and bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, uncover and sprinkle leftover cheese over each pepper. Continue cooking, uncovered for an additional 15 minutes.
Let cool for a few minutes before serving. I should have cooked mine for a few minutes longer so they were crispier on the top. Live n learn!

2 comments:

  1. what a great stuffed pepper recipe....I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look SO GOOD, I am going to make them the next time I cook a decent meal! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete