Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Carbs Carbs Carbs.

Hey guys! I'm blogging from the airport! F A N C Y. I'm going to Seattle, yahoo! Last week my mom and sister were in town to pay me a little visit. My mom is like a super-human and makes this homemade bread at least twice a week at home. Its enough dough to make 3 loaves and literally takes under 10 minutes prep time. OH and you don't have to knead it! Lazy bakers unite!

Here we go:
(coming to us from the website: artisanbreadinfive.com)


3 cups lukewarm water cold water = longer rising time hot water = KILLING YEAST. so do it right! 
1 1/2 tablespoons granulated yeast 
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt (or sea salt...mmm!)
6 1/2 cups (2-pounds) unbleached all-purpose flour 


In your mixer, or in a 5 quart bowl (you dont have to have a Kitchenaid!) dump your water, yeast and salt and mix with a whisk (I really like using whisks, dont you?). 


(oooh, action shot!) 

Now, combine all your flour into mixture. Guess what? You dont have to sift it! You know how I feel about sifting.


It's going to be a wet dough, especially in comparison to other doughs. And that's ok! It will need to rise for about 2 hours. We placed the bowl on my stove so that it was a little warmer than room temperature. I have a gas stove so it's always a little warm. Cover your bowl lightly with tin foil.


When it's done rising, divide dough into two or three pieces, depending on how big you'd like your bread to be. 
Cover a wood cutting board with flour and work with the dough to get it into the shape you'd like. 

It gets a little messy in there! 
OH, PS...if you want to let the dough chill before using, that's fine. Put it in the fridge over night but you CAN use it after the 2 hour rise. We did both, and I even put thyme in my second batch...mmm!

Let the dough rest for about an hour. If you don't, you won't get those delicious holes in the bread and it will be a bit dense. 


Cut at least 3 1/4" slits at the top of the bread. This will help the baking process and make it prettier! 
Pre-heat your oven to 450 and use a baking stone if you have one. If not, use a shallow baking pan and cover the loaf slightly with foil. But don't use glass, ok? ok. 

Bake for 30-35  minutes until a gorgeous golden color. 


It sounds like a ton of steps, but its actually really easy. And so good! You'll have fresh bread for a FRACTION of the cost. 







3 comments:

  1. Hi! I have been reading your blog for a bit now- I'm Ashley, and I'm thinking I found you through Sometimes Sweet if you're curious. :)

    We have been baking a lot of bread at my house lately too. In fact..I seem to be eating bread with every meal! Yikes!
    Still trying to perfect the recipe though. Your loaf is ten times more attractive than what has been coming out of our oven! The loaves we have been making just don't rise as tall- they expand outward- wide and flat. When its sliced, it looks like biscotti! Ugh!
    Anyway- just thought to introduce myself since I read your blog often. Your bread looks super delicious and it has inspired me to try this recipe next!

    PS-Have you ever made your own sourdough starter? Maybe that's my issue...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks awesome!! I've been wanting to make bread for a while now. Any kind, quick, yeasty..doesn't matter. Just as long as it turns out lookin like that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bread looks incredible, and the recipe really does sound easy! Thanks for sharing, I'm definitely going to give this one a try! It would be so wonderful not to buy bread from the grocery store... and I'd be able to use organic ingredient! WIN-WIN!


    <3 MuffinLovesBiscuit

    ReplyDelete