Sunday, January 16, 2011

Chicken Soup For The ______ Soul.

Remember those books? Chicken Soup For The Children's/Mother's/Father's etc etc Soul... What was in them anyway? Short stories? Poetry? I feel like my mom had one or two (is it true, Mom? Did you?). And the title of this post does actually tie into my recipe because....wait for it..... I made soup! From scratch, obviously. It's super easy and makes plenty.

Here's what you need:



You will need:

1/2 cup uncooked wild rice

1/2 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

5 1/4 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth

2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, crushed

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)

2 medium carrots, chopped

1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)

1 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into cubes

Oh! And a slow cooker!

So, turn your slow cooker up to high and pour in your vegetable oil. Dump your rice and let it simmer for 15 minutes.




After it's simmered for a hot minute, throw in your chicken stock. After that, combine all the vegetables and chicken.




OH! Do any of you have Pampered Chef knives? THEY'RE AMAZING! And green:


Anyway.....  let it simmer for about 7 hours on low or 4 on high. If any of you follow me on twitter, you know I started this super late and set my alarm for 2 am to turn it off. I wouldn't suggest doing that.




Serve with giant dinner rolls and you've got yourself an excellent lunch or dinner! If you're feeling REALLY ambitious, use the roll recipe I did a few weeks ago. 

I'm off to Sundance this week, so I might not be cooking that much, but I still lurve all of your. xo!


1 comment:

  1. In answer to your question about the Chicken Soup books - yes I did have a couple one I believe was a gift from you....Also just a note about the raw chicken on the wooden cutting board...where was your chicken only cutting board that Santa brought you? Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete