Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Challenge: Shrimp & Corn Chowder with Fennel

I LOVE Real Simple. Their "Weeknight Meals" are always delicious and relatively painless. Seeing as though I work 40+ hours a week and attempt to get dinner on the table before midnight, I don't always have the time or energy for something too complicated.



Here's what the recipe calls for:

2 tablespoons unsalted butter


2 leeks

1 fennel bulb (chopped)

kosher salt & pepper

2 tablespoons all purpose flour

1 8oz can of clam juice

3 cups whole milk

1 pound potatoes cut into 1/2" pieces

3/4 pound cooked shrimp

1 10oz package corn

2 tablespoons chopped parsley

2 tablespoons lemon juice
 
Heat butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the leaks & fennel, season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionaly until veggies are tender (4-5 mins) stir in flour. NOTE: I decided against using the fennel- reason being my #1 taste tester/boyfriend/father to our two kittens is not a fan of it.



 
Add the clam juice, milk and potatoes and bring to a boil.
 

 



Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 12 minutes. During this time I decided to cook 6 strips of bacon to crumple up and sprinkle in the soup when it was finished. I figured it could handle the extra flavor because I didn't use fennel.
 




Stir in the shrimp (make sure it's cooked before adding) and corn. Heat until potatoes are tender and corn has been heated all the way through.
 




Lastly, stir in fresh parsley and lemon juice.
 



Serve by itself or with fresh bread. I decided on a sourdough loaf (I have not attempted bread baking yet- although I'm sure it's only a matter of time)
 
This dish was delicious- a bit on the rich side, so I'm glad I decided against the fennel. It could have been a bit overwhelming with it.


PS. How come it never looks like the picture?

1 comment: