Thursday, January 28, 2010

Idiot Proof Cookie: Shortbread

I discovered my love for shortbread (and making it) over the holidays. Everything to make a batch should be in your pantry, if not, you're living like a caveman. Ryan is working a 16 (!!) hour day today so I thought  I could win the girlfriend of the month/year/lifetime award and have one of his fave cookies waiting for him when he got home. That, and I am feeling slightly under the weather and am experience what is called "cabin fever". I wanted to put a mini twist on the original recipe so I decided to make a shortbread crumble cookie.

Recipe:

For Shortbread:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups UNSALTED butter

For topping:

1 cup apricot preserves
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans or nut of choice (that's what she said....sorry mom)

Combine salt, sugar and flour in large bowl. *This recipe calls for using a mixer to blend in the butter cubed and chilled but since I don't have one mybirthdayisin8months I soften the butter first and use my hands*

I don't make a mess or anything when I bake....
Mix in butter until mixture sticks together.

Press all but 1/4 cup shortbread dough into a 9x9" GREASED baking pan.
Spread 1 cup apricot preserves over dough in pan.
Chop up pecans or whatever into smaller pieces and combine with leftover dough and 1/4 tsp cinnamon.

Sprinkle combination over dough in pan evenly, or not evenly, whatever.
Stick it in the oven (preheated to 325 degrees) and bake for 50 minutes. I realize that 50 minutes is a seriously LONG time to bake cookies but they're worth the wait and super delicious.

These puppies will be gone by morning.

5 comments:

  1. Shortbread, apricot preserves and pecans all together in one pan - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bonne maman is the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! This is my first visit to your blog.
    We are a collection of volunteers starting with one
    a new project in the community in the same niche.
    Your blog has provided us with useful information to work with. YOU
    did a fantastic job!
    atomic email hunter crack
    gstarcad pro crack
    wondershare filmora crack
    windows 8 enterprise crack

    ReplyDelete