Sunday, February 14, 2010

Cobbler Cobley Cobweb Cobblestone



 My last name is Cobley, and ever since I was a kid people thought it was hi-larious (and witty) to call me peach cobbler, apple cobbler, cobweb, cobblestone...the list is endless. So, as I was making one of my favorite desserts last night I couldn't help but recall my "nicknames." It would go something like this "Hey Sarah, has anyone ever called you peach cobbler? Hahahaha isn't that so funny?" No, no one has ever called me that, you're so creative. Enough about my nicknames and onto the treats!

You will need:

6 ripe peaches (I used white peaches cuz I think they're more delicious)
2 cups fresh blueberries (I used frozen cuz it was gonna be $10 for 2 cups)
1 large egg
1 tablespoon instant tapioca
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 tablespoons butter
1 1/3 cup sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees

Slice peaches along seam and into 3 wedges per side. My first mishap of the night was learning the hard way how sensitive white peaches are. I bought these on Wednesday and today 3 out of my 7 were rotten. PERFECT! Luckily I had 2 large apples and improvised with those.


Coat fruit mixture with 1 cup sugar and tapioca. I also used a bit less sugar because it seemed to be a little TOO sweet for my liking last time I made this with the full cup on the fruit. Especially using white peaches, as those are sweeter than regular.

Cobbler top:
Mix together flour, rest of sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Rub in 2 tablespoons of butter into mixture. (Thank you to Ryan for photographing me doing this considering my hands were covered in butter)
After the pieces are full blended take the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and rub in with your fingers again.
The mixture should have little balls of butter after this process. Now pour in heavy cream and egg. This should create a shaggy (yes the recipe said that) loose dough. Take large heaping spoonfuls and lay over fruit.
Bake at 375 for about an hour. After about 45 minutes check on it because mine was done at about 50 minutes. I think my oven temp is a little off though, oh well.
We ate it on its own, no ice cream. It was really good with the apples- apples take longer to cook so it added a little crisp to the dish. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. OMG - Your sis made this before and one word....YUMMMMMMMMMMM!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Butter, cream, tapioca?! Oinky oink...yummy! ;D

    ReplyDelete