Sunday, February 7, 2010

Operation Spicy Pork

Asian cuisine is not my strong suit. Since going to the market last week it has been my goal to complete at least one Asian dish succesfully. So I chose this one:

Sweet and Spicy Asian Pork Shoulder



1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1-2 tablespoons chilli-garlic sauce
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
kosher salt & pepper
2.5 lbs pork shoulder (I used 1.5 lbs)
1 cup long grain white rice - sticky rice recipe to follow
1 medium head bok choy
2 scallions, sliced

In a 4-6 quart slow cookier, combine soy sauce, sugar, chili-garlic sauce, ginger, 5 spice powder, salt and pepper.

Add pork and toss until covered.
If I can give any advice for those of you using this recipe. If you're a weenie like me and can't handle too much spice only put 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce in. I may or may not have used 2 tablespoons and it was a liiiiiitttlllleeee too spicy for me but still delish.

Anywho. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4-5.

25 minutes before serving prepare rice. I used sticky rice- use white rice that is high in startch and cook as package directs then add a teaspoon of sugar and a teaspoon of white rice vinegar Perfect!

Chop bok choy and scallions.
Fold in bok choy (I decided to used baby bok choy- fun fact- the smaller the bok choy the more tender it is) and cover cooked until it is heated through.

Serve with rice and sprinkle with scallions.

This is DELICIOUS and is the best part is you can throw it all into the slow cooker then go to work, run errands, do whatever...come back do 20 minutes of prep and you have dinner! Yippee!

3 comments:

  1. Sarah! This looks super tasty. I was thinking not five minutes ago "I have NO inspiration for next week's menu!" And then I took a peek at NTYB and see this. I don't have a slow cooker :-( but I'm sure it will work just as well in a tightly sealed dish in a low oven. I'll let you know how I get on.

    As for Asian, I'm posting a chicken dish I learned to make in China if you're interested. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making this on Wed. night for my honey! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am making this tomorrow - will let you know how it turns out

    ReplyDelete