Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Crazy Girl's Dream

Ryan's extended family Patty and George were in town over the weekend for a seminar. They are absolutely lovely people, and we wanted to make sure to spend some time with them prior to their departure. Ryan was chatting on the phone with Patty trying to make plans for the following evening when I blurted "I'LL COOK!". Immediately I went to my cookbooks to start on a menu. I really love entertaining. I think it's so fun to create a menu based around the people who are coming and what's in season. There's something so much more intimate and special about having good friends and family over for a home cooked meal, great wine and delicious desserts. The fact that I thrive on cooking for 8+ people at once might sound a little nuts. Did I mention I refuse to let anyone help me? I have about 25 things going on at once and want it all to go smoothly. I have never (knock on wood) had a dinner party that was a complete failure so hopefully I can keep it up. On Monday evening I cooked for 6 and here's the menu:

Spicy beef cross-rib roast with carmelized clementine sauce
Roasted fingerling potatoes with dill
Garlic roasted brussel sprouts
Blueberry lemon pudding cakes

My recipes for this will go into 3 installments. First we'll chat about the beef, then the sides and last but most certainly not least, the dessert.

I started cooking at 3pm that day. My (like how I call it mine? Ryan has a music room that's all for himself so I guess we're even, right?)  kitchen looks onto our backyard- so this is my view:

Not bad, huh? Gotta give credit where credit is due, when we moved in the entire backyard was covered in leaves and mr. green-thumb over here has turned into this gem. Anywho, back to the beef.

You will need:
2.5 lbs clementines *I used tangerines because I couldn't find any clementines...I asked my mom, she said they taste the same.
1-2 tsp crushed red chile flakes
3 tbsp chopped fresh ginger *Because of the side dishes I chose I didn't use the ginger. It would make the beef too Chinese orange-peel for my liking. I will try it again with the ginger for an Asian based meal.
4 garlic cloves, peeled
1 tsp kosher salt
3 tbsp veg oil
1 boned beef cross-rib tied with kitchen twine like a roast
6 tbsp brown sugar
6 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp dry cooking sherry
3 green onions cut into 2" matchsticks


So first you wanna tie your meat, unless you had the butcher do it. Being the DIY gal I am, I did it myself. That and the woman behind the butcher counter didnt speak a ton of English.
 Preheat oven to 450. Finely shred zest from 2 large clementines (tangerines). In a food processer/in my kitchen a fork, combine zest, chile flakes, ginger, garlic and soy. I used the brilliant slap chop to mince my garlic:
Put meat in a roasting pan, rub chile mixture onto beef and roast until browned- 20-25 minutes.
Reduce heat to 325 and cook until meat is to 90 degrees, or about 20 minutes.

. Juice remaining clementines (about 2 cups). I think I need a juicer, what do you think?
Bring a large sauce pan of water to boil. Add clementine peels and boil gently for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cool water. Scrape out all pul and cut peels into small strips. Combine soy sauce, strips, sugar, sherry and 2/3 cup clementine juice.

. When meat is to 90, pour mixture around it. Cook, stirring sauce occasionally, until meat reaches 130 degrees for medium-rare, or 30-40 minutes. As pan juices begin to carmelize, stir in a few more tbsp juice to prevent scorching.
Transfer beef to a cutting board and let rest, tented loosely with foil, for 15 minutes. Pour remaining juice into roasting pan, set pan over high heat and cook stirring often for about 7 minutes. This will thicken the sauce and carmelize it. Serve meat with sauce and green onions.

I know this was a long post, so sorry, I won't be such a Chatty Cathy all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment